Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Letter B (Part 2)

Midweek we starting reading the book - The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle



We talked about the life cycle of a caterpillar/butterfly again The Letter B (Part 1) - using a flow chart that I had made written up the weekend before.

After reading the book we the moved onto discussing healthy food verus unhealthy food (junk food). Using the book we talked about why the caterpillar had a tummyache (after eating too much junk food) & why he felt better after eating a green leaf (healthy food).

I have a pack of food photo cards. We spread them all out over the floor & Seychelle had to name each type of food and work out whether it was healthy or unhealthy. She grouped them accordingly.




                                                    

I then got a couple of magazines & Seychelle looked through the mags finding pictures of either healthy or unhealthy food.



                                                     



While Seychelle was doing this fun activity I played the audio CD of The Hungry Caterpillar. (It came with the book we purchased & I highly recommend it).

We did painting today. This one was a caterpillar. We used X3 paper plates and I got Seychelle to choose the designs for each (she copied an example we found on the net) & then I modelled to her how to paint those designs. She loved this painting!